Sunday, April 12, 2009

Forgive and Remember

I think it is interesting that the Apostle Paul, writer of most of the Christian Canon, preaches forgiveness for enemies, and at the same time warns followers to remember the sins of those who opposed his ministry.
I think it is interesting that the LORD God met Moses face-to-face, intimately, and yet would not let him cross into the Promised Land, because he struck the rock instead of speaking to it.
There is such a thing as "too far". Judas knew that, too late. Jesus did not say, "Good for you; you brought about my sacrificial atonement on the cross by betraying me." No, Jesus said, "Woe to you; it would be better that you were never born."
Forgiving is not forgetting; it is surrendering the reality of that situation to the Lordship of Christ, for His judgment. I would make a horrible judge; I'm tainted. Like old Betty once quoted, "Leave room for the Wrath of God." Surrender wrath to the One who sees clearly.
It removes the stone from my hand, but proclaims, "...be on your guard."
So I will seek to forgive, but I will also remember the words spoken, the actions taken, not as idols to worship, but reminders of what some people are capable of as I press onward.
Jesus warns his disciples, "I'm sending you out as sheep among wolves, so be gentle as doves but wise as serpents." I will learn from my past; I will not be naive. I know there are those who hide in hallowed halls yet harbor shadowed intention. They will be found out, exposed for what they are, for how they have counseled. God is not mocked; a person reaps what they sow.
The heart is deceitful above all other things; deceit is the opposite of truth. Deceit creates its own reality as an unholy idol. It's worshipers end in death, from the inside out, firstly because they believe their own lies.
The truth will always set us free.
That is the power of confession, not to make anything-- but to release captives.
I desire life; I have value.
Please show me who I am.
I desire freedom; I have a ministry ahead of me.
Please show me my next step in obedience.
I need you, Jesus. All else I surrender before You: my sins, my failings, my flaws, my fear... my shallow theology.
Jesus, today is Easter; please raise my heart from the dead... catch me on fire and watch me burn.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

God has a wonderful next step for you Jim Kelley as you shake off the dust from your sandals and move forward into what God has planned for you next great adventure with Him who is gracious

Hebrews 13
Concluding Exhortations
1Keep on loving each other as brothers. 2Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. 3Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.

4Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. 5Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
"Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you."[a] 6So we say with confidence,
"The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?"[b]

JenniferF said...

There is forgiveness and there is reconciliation. God commands us to forgive my dear cousin. And I would differ with you in that you can forget the pain if you truly let go and put it in the hands of God. One day, with time, it will disipate. I have found this true with so many things in my life. You are not called to reconcile. For a reconciliation to occur, one must admit the pain that they have caused, seek forgiveness AND turn away from doing that to you again. You can forgive, but you do not have to reconcile. This has given me the greatest peace in regard to my mother. You may be pleased to know that I was able to spend a few mintues with her this week. I have forgiven her; however, I have come to understand that we will not have a reconciliation in our relationship, and I am OK with that. All I am commanded to do is forgive and not reconcile. With that, I can move forward and let go of what she does to hurt me. I will now just focus on my gratitude of her. Some days that may just be that she gave me life and raised me....... But no, I do not want to put myself in her or my family's path to hurt me more.