Sunday, December 18, 2011

Hello Goldie

Every year it happens. Most are so oblivious with chores or work or shopping or cutting people off in mall parking lots that they have no idea the events occurring before their very eyes, provided they ever hung a bird feeder and paid attention... the goldfinch have arrived in my backyard today!

winter goldfinch by D.McKenzie
My first sighting of the year was last week at the Audobon's Edith L. Moore Sactuary, which actually brought a weird sense of "what's wrong with MY feeder stations?" dejection since there was not a goldie to be found in my myriad of feeders and awaiting finch socks. Then today, with Jaxon and Angela there to verify it: boom! Goldfinch! Six feet from my kitchen window... awesomeness!

With the hummingbirds come the end of summer; the geese prove autumn. But the goldfinch is the undeniable herald of winter in Houston, TX.

I love my life. Thank you Lord.
jim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's very cool! We have a bird feeder up outside so I'll have to be on the lookout for Goldie!

Jim Kelley said...

you'll also probably see some yellow-rumped warblers and even orange-crowned warblers if you put out a suet feeder (my birds prefer the 'berry' blend). Or just put a big old smear of peanut butter on a tree trunk and see how long until they find it. :)

Jim Kelley said...

the last few days the goldfinch have a migrated in en masse! My thistle feeders have waited all winter for this, and in 2 days are half emptied of thistle seeds! I hung my thistle sock near my window, and love the close-up views. :)