Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Illegal immigrant

I saw him twice in my backyard this week.
The audacity to come onto my property and check out my stuff, as if he was looking over his own domain. I never gave him permission-- I've never even met this interesting squatter.
His relatives are probably from Cuba, his brown skin betrays his origins. Anolis sagrei is his name.
Like many illegal immigrants, he appears very nervous, always looking around and he immediately runs off when I go outside to meet him. I don't dislike him and I don't intend him any harm; I'm just fascinated by his differences. Also like many immigrants, his kind stick to themselves, orginally coming over to Florida and now setting up shop in Harris County, Texas; it's interesting that his kind are only found in the Houston area, probably due to the land development and need for landscaping and gardening. That will probably change in time.
He would not be able to appreciate it, but there is a growing concern for those who are already here, natives, who will be displaced by this newcomer, though the few who could proclaim it are busy playing in ditches or looking for the last remaining fireflies.
We live in a world that is changing; with the Ice Age finally starting to thaw out and the Mandarin tsunami about to sweep Westerners off their pedistals, there is something to be learned from these invaders, how they adapt to change, how they become a new dominant force, etc. Natural selection is alive and well on Wall Street and my own backyard. I guess my challenge is to enjoy the moment and those that God placed in my midst.

No comments: