Monday, July 30, 2007

God and Motel 8

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where your options seem to have all run out?
Have you come to a place within your mind that there really is no hope of success, or that some dreggy alternative will have to suffice?
And then suddenly you find that there's a comfortable room for you at Motel 8?
I have. Somewhere in the panhandle of Florida is a crossroad community of hotels and restaurants, and in both coming and going we found no place to stay in any of the hotels nearest the interstate. Both times, as I'm weighing the pros and cons of sleeping in the truck, the Artist comes out of the Motel 8 office waving her recently rented room keycard. So why is it so hard to hold onto hope for just one last chance? Why do I not give this last abode the same optimistic expectation that I just extended to the last 6 places that turned us away?
And why do I treat God that way, when He continues to prove Himself faithful to me?
How often I have such a low expectation of God's response towards my supplications, only to find once again that He is consistent in His merciful providence. So why is that?
Do I fear coming off as some selfish piglet, making demands that might smack of entitlement? Or am I just afraid of that final rejection, that if there is going to be a surprise it is a pleasant one?
God is good, all the time. Lord, help my unbelief.

1 comment:

asher castillo said...

Good Word man.