Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Mayflies in Sandpoint, Idaho

Tonight has been an exceptional evening with Alan and Heather Barber of Sandpoint, Idaho. Such a gracious couple in a beautiful bed and breakfast (www.churchstreethouse.com), and Heather is an amazing chef and proprietor of their inn. Alan and I share a distant grandfather, and he is both knowledgeable and passionate about family history. From the walks about town, to the evening- Lika- walk along 'dog beach', Kathy and both have been blessed with the time we shared.
So tonight, much to our surprise and enjoyment, Alan and Heather take us aboard their boat for a sunset dinner on Lake Pend d'Orielle. Heather prepared a shrimp/papaya/ginger salad (I told you she was a chef!) served with a local white wine and fresh bread. What a great moment!
As we enjoy our fellowship, the crepuscular creation begins a oft hidden scene, a snapshot in time often missed by a madly rushing world, available only to those who have eyes to see or trout to catch: the mayfly hatch of dusk.
It starts with my noticing spent chrysalises on the surface of the lake, discarded remnants of a former, aquatic livelihood. Then I spy a large mayfly emerging from the surface of the lake, shedding the exoskeleton of its benthic past, now floating for a moment as a miracle of new birth has occured, then it whirs into the darkening sky leaving a slight ripple on now placid lake surface. Now this is not an entomological expedition, mind you; I'm just this nature-boy-kinda dude, having great conversation with new friends, and my attention deficit kicks in and I see the hatch. The only thing cooler than seeing the hatch, is sharing it with others who are open to such things and sensing that they get the moment.
The lake trout also sensed the moment, for they were rising on all sides, sipping the inch-long insects from the surface. Very cool moment.
And then the little mayflies hatched. Or should I say expoded like a cream-colored smoke bomb! The night was upon us, but not nearly so much as this newly emerging species of mayfly! Coating the surface of the boat and all parties on board, it was enough to drive a person to abandon a cool moment and head for the docks... and so we did! Cream-colored micro-spinners ala incisors is not the best dessert to conclude a fabulous meal, but it made for a memory that I will not forget. What a great day.
God bless.
Jim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wordsmith you are, Jim! Reading about it was almost as much fun as doin' it. Thanks for stopping by...

Alan Barber

Anonymous said...

Well, Dear Cuz,
God has yet again blessed me with His purposeful guidance! I only (seemingly) coincidentally happened upon your BLOG just now. I was merely reading your last e-mail when I realized there was a blog link. THEN I read this beautiful rendition of the hatching-of-the-mayfly experience y'all had. WOW. Now I am moved to believe God wants me to SHED the mourning veil which encapsulates my heart and soul since "losing" Mom - at least that is the feeling I have gleaned from reading your entry today. I will try to do just that. THANKS BE TO GOD. (Pray for my success, please!)

I have not yet "clicked on" your "Loss of a Loved One" entry to read it, but I am ASSUMING it's regarding the sad news I laid on you via cell phone during your otherwise fabulous trip (which I did not know you were on, by the way). (Darn those cell phones!)

I shall take a deep breath and do that now.

ILY, Cuz.
Sherri