Saturday, March 24, 2012

Eleven days

This morning I was catching up on reading my One Year Bible (OYB). In "March 23"s readings we begin the book of Deuteronomy, and it is there that I read this interesting phrase:

"(It takes eleven days to go from Horeb to Kadesh Barnea by the Mount Seir road.)"--Deut.1:2.

What an interesting way to begin the 5th book of the Torah.
Curious. Mainly because I forget the names of people and places I've never visited or experienced in person.
I read on:

   V.6--"The LORD our God said to us at Horeb, 'You have stayed long enough at this mountain...'"

   V.19--"Then, as the LORD our God commanded us, we set out from Horeb and went toward the hill country of the Amorites through all that vast and dreadful desert that you have seen, and so we reached Kadesh Barnea." (--ah! this is the point... got it... 11 day trip.)

   V.25-- Israel explores the promised land and SEES that it is FULL of goodness.

   V.26--"But you were unwilling to go up..."

   V.34-35-- "When the LORD heard what you said, he was angry and solemnly swore: 'Not a man of this evil generation shall see the good land I swore to give your forefathers, [except Caleb & Joshua]...'"

Oh boy... another reminder: same song, different production company.

O God, make me trust You!
Make me take that step!
Close the sea behind me so I can't turn back!
Goad my backside SO that I will move past my stupid fears and ENTER INTO YOUR FULLNESS.
O LORD, I realize I have just invited pain and infliction into my life if I do not pay attention to what You have for me, to what Your promise is for me.
Dear Abba, I recognize the good Father disciplines his children because He loves them and wants their best.
Dear Jesus, show me your ways. Show me how to surrender. Show me the steps to the cross. Show me how to converse with our Abba, how to do battle with the flesh, how to speak Truth into situations, how to risk obedience, how to shift the atmosphere through the Spirit's power and not rely on my own limited resources.
Amen.

1 comment:

Mark H. Pillsbury said...

I love that devotional you posted, thank you for letting the holy spirit talk through your meditation, I really got a lot out of it. Amen